Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ghar

My boss was going around and asking people when they plan to take their vacations. Its Oct and FI (Financial Institutions...ok banks!) are particular about taking vacation days off and stuff.
"I am not sure yet...most probably Jan"
"Ok can you tell me soon though..."

That kind of pushes me to book my flight to India. But whenever I think about actually going to India...I have strange feeling in my stomach...Its been ages 6 years since I went to India. And I am not sure if I want to go. Although I have promised people that I will come this year...but somehow I can't seem to convince myself to go...till a few years ago my excuse use to be...I am on student permit (no money!), then work permit (no time), then contract jobs (no vacation time)...now there is no issue...full time job, enough savings, 15 days vacation plus time in liu...but...still...I am scared of going to India...there is this unknown fear...I wonder what it stems from :-?

I guess there is nothing better then your own home....my home is here...in Toronto.

15 comments:

parikrama said...

Thats WEIRD ! Did i read correctly that you have been away for 6 years & all this while u never went back to India ??

Weird maybe is a harsh word, but its certainly unusual not to feel keen to visit what has once been your home (of 20+ years or more). Unless ofcourse your folks / near-dear ones have been visiting you in Canada during the past few years, then it would be a different story.

Full2 Faltu said...

Vi

6 Years is a long time. I have been in Amsterdam 2 years now.

I am scarred to. Don't know why. Feels like life is going to change again when I go back.

Planing to go back in December. 3 weeks. Have to talk to my boss.

Ek baar jakar aao.

Punds

parikrama said...

Come to think of it, even i have been afflicted by this fear. But mine was more about moving permanently back to India. Whereas you are scared even for going for a short vacation !! So its bit different than my phobia. You can read about mine over here
Fear Factor - India"

vi said...

Parikarma,
I have been here more then 6 years, and I did go back once.
I don't know what scares me, perhaps I want to keep my memories intact and not mess with what was once a "good thing"
Yup, family visits every year.

And yeah I read that post of yours! I cannot even imagine moving there permanently...(not even in my dreams or nightmares rather ;)

Punds,
All the best to you buddy. I might take KLM, isn't that a dutuch flight? And have a stop over...and here I was thinking, I would ask you to show me the place ;)

vi

Rajavel said...

Why are we afraid of evertything ? Afraid of this afraid of that .. "afraid making a call" .. "Afraid of receiving a call" .. "afraid of not receivng a call" .. "afraid of drinking coffee with sugar" .. "afraid of changing the angles of the blind" .. "afraid of going to India" .. "afraid of comeing from INdia" .. sigh .. the list goes on !

I wonder what you think is waiting for you in India ! Will it be difficult to face it ? I dont know .. 6 years ... is a long time and you are one of the very few who say you are at home "here in toronto" ! Go on a vacation, even if you are not going to INdia !

vi said...

Hi Cheti
I have taken vacations...recently went to Calgary....and have been to other places. But India is just so unnerving ...

vi

Full2 Faltu said...

Oye Vi

Neki aur pooch pooch? I had given the offer earlier too.

Toh kab aa rahi ho?

Punds

vi said...

Hi Punds
Well If I convince myself to go to India...then around Jan 5 2007 but it is highly unlikely :(

vi

sumeet said...

I have been in US for the past 5 years.. and had been to India once about 3 years ago.. And believe me Vi that was the best time during all my past 5 years. You are treated like a Prince(Princess in your case). I was in India for the entire summer.. 3 damn months, and every day every minute of my stay was worth it. Moreover i was choked to comeback to US. Just go there, you will have a great time, all the questions that your neighbours relatives, etc will be asking.. answer them with just a smile and a nod... Haan mein Haan milana.. rest will eb taken care of. I am sure you will love to be there.. take the initial step.. thats all it takes..

Priya Sivan said...

Like Sumeet said, you will be treated like a princess and you will enjoy the stay very much. However whichver place you are at, you always feel at home with people you are close with, isnt it?

aria said...

Well .. if you think your home is where you are .. that is great .. but calling India "unnerving .n I wont settle in India even in nightmares .. I'm afraid of going to India" .. is completely strange and a bit offensive.. but anyways they are your feelings .. stay wherever you are comfortable and happy - is what I would say but you of course can decide for yourself better than anyone else.

vi said...

Hi Sumeet,
Well you have a point...oh and on a different note the other day I logged into your radio show and for a minute shocked....if you know what i mean...

Hi Priya,
Very true its the people that make or break a place. And thats precisely the reason I am where I am...and the people that matter to me come and visit :)

Hi Flower, I didn't intend to offend. See we all judge place/people/things on the basis of our experience...and my last one was one such example.
Hence the "strange"ness :)

vi

Full2 Faltu said...

So january it is. I should be back by then, Hopefully.

So coming to vissit Amsterdam Vi?

Punds

vi said...

Hi Tushar,
Welcome to my blog :)...yup this fear thingie sometimes gets the better of us :(

sumeet said...

@ Vi,

Lol i guess i know what you talking about. Seriously there nothing too shocking to me anymore.. but, yeah we encouraged her one time.. and now she is doing it everytime.. we had to stop her "mid-way" to make her clear.. thats it.. no more..Lol